How to apply for a provisional motorcycle licence

Applying for a Provisional Motorcycle Licence

L-plates on bikes

Applying for a provisional motorcycle licence is easiest done via the DVLA’s (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) secure online service. Learn what you can and can't do once you have it here.

You must obtain a UK provisional motorcycle licence before you can start your riding lessons, sit the Theory Test or take your Practical Test.

You can apply for a provisional motorcycle licence when you reach 17 years of age which will expire on your 70th birthday. On your provisional licence, you can ride a light motorcycle which is sometimes called a training motorcycle. This is any bike with:

  • An engine capacity of no more than 125cc
  • A maximum power output of 11kW or 14.6 bhp

While you are riding on a provisional motorcycle licence you must obey the following restrictions:

  • You must display L plates at all times (D plates in Wales)
  • You can not carry a pillion passenger
  • You can not ride on motorways

If you are aged 21 years of age you can ride a larger bike if you are being supervised by a Direct Access instructor. If you want to ride a moped, you can apply for your provisional licence when you are 16 years of age.

Applying online for your Provisional Motorcycle Licence

You can apply online for your provisional licence using the DVLA’s (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) secure online service. Before you can apply for your first British provisional licence you must:

  • be a resident of Great Britain
  • meet the minimum age requirement
  • meet the minimum eyesight requirement
  • are currently not prevented from riding for any reason
  • have the ability to pay £50.00 by Mastercard, Visa, Maestro, Electron, Delta, Solo debit or credit card
  • have a valid UK passport
  • provide addresses of where you have lived over the last three years

If you want to apply online you will need the following:

  • a valid debit or card
  • your UK passport
  • details of any previous addresses over the last three years

Apply Online Now

Applying for your provisional motorcycle licence by post

If you’d prefer to apply for your provisional licence by post you can complete the D1 application form which is available from the Post Office or direct from the DVLA. You will need to enclose the following with your application:

  • original documentation confirming your identity
  • A passport style colour photograph
  • £50 fee

You will need to post your completed application form to: DVLA Swansea SA99 1AD

Premium Checking Service

Selected Post Office® branches and DVLA local offices provide a premium checking service to get your application checked and sent on to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), when applying for a photocard driving licence.

For further information about this service please visit the DVLA.

Back to top