Apply for a provisional driving licence
You must obtain a UK provisional driving licence before you can start your driving lessons, sit the Theory Test or take your Practical Test.
When can I apply for my Provisional Driving Licence?
You can apply for your provisional driving licence up to three months before your 17th birthday, but you will not be able to take any driving lessons (both professional or private) before your 17th birthday. If however you are receiving Disability Living Allowance at the higher rate, you can apply for your provisional driving licence up to three months before your 16th birthday. You will still have to wait until your 16th birthday before it becomes valid.
Apply online for your Provisional Driving Licence
You can apply online for your provisional driving licence using the Government Gateway ID. Before you can apply for your first British provisional driving licence you must:
- be a resident of Great Britain
- meet the minimum age requirement
- meet the minimum eyesight requirement
- are currently not prevented from driving for any reason
- pay the £34 fee by Mastercard, Visa, Maestro, Electron, Delta, debit or credit card
- have a valid UK passport or other form of identity
- provide addresses of where you have lived over the last three years
Before you start your application for your provisional licence make sure you have the following information to hand:
- a valid debit or card
- your UK passport
- details of any previous addresses over the last three years
Apply Online Now
Get Applying for your Provisional Driving Licence by post
If you’d prefer to apply for your provisional driving licence by post, you can complete the D1 application form which is available from the Post Office or direct from the DVLA. You will need to enclose the following with your application:
- original documentation confirming your identity
- A passport style colour photograph
- £34 fee
You will need to post your completed application form to: DVLA Swansea SA99 1AD
Applying for a provisional licence with non UK identity documents
If you are including non-UK identity documents, you will need to send you application and payment to: DVLA Swansea SA99 1AD
Provisional Driving Licence Premium Checking Service
Selected Post Office® branches provide a premium checking service to get your application checked and sent on to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). For further information about this service please visit the Post Office website.