Keep Calm and Study On - Theory and Practical Test Update
- Theory Tests and Practical Driving Tests are taking place in Tiers 1, 2 and 3 areas.
- Theory Tests and Practical Driving Tests are suspended in Tier 4 areas. You must not travel out of a Tier 4 area to take your test somewhere else.
- Theory Tests and Practical Driving Tests are taking place in areas in protection levels 0, 1, 2 and 3. Although Theory tests will be suspended in these areas if the test centre staff would need to travel from a protection level 4 area.
- Theory Tests and Practical Driving Tests are suspended in areas in protection level 4. You must not travel out of a level 4 area to take your test somewhere else.
- Theory Tests and Practical Driving Tests will take place in areas in alert levels 0 to 3.
- Theory Tests and Practical Driving Tests are suspended in areas in alert level 4. You must not travel out of a level 4 area to take your test somewhere else.
More information can be found on the driving lessons, theory tests and driving tests on the gov.uk website.
The cancellation of Theory Tests and Practical Driving Tests have been of a direct result of the unprecedented spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19). Across the UK the DVSA has taken preventative action to combat this highly infectious virus by shutting the doors of their Theory Test centres, and putting a halt to Practical Driving Tests.
Has your test been cancelled?
Amidst the unravelling of the COVID-19 developments, you might have received an email from the DVSA saying your test has been cancelled. Don’t panic, everybody would’ve also received this email. Rest assured, you will be receiving a refund within a few weeks from the DVSA - a confirmation email will be sent out in due course. You will then be able to go ahead and rebook your test.
NOTE: For those of you that passed your Driving Theory Test two years ago, but haven’t taken your Practical Test, the DVSA have also provided an update. Legally, your test certificate cannot be extended under any circumstances, even in the current situation with COVID-19. So if you’re reaching the two-year mark since passing your Theory Test, you might be forced to resit your Theory Test again before you can take your Practical Driving Test.
What you should do if your Theory Test is affected
The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) will contact you if your test is affected by local restrictions and tell you what you need to do. If your test has been postponed, use the additional time to ensure that you're fully prepared for your Theory Test once the test centres reopen. The Pass Guarantee and Learner Plan within the Driving Test Success 4 in 1 app will help to guide you through your learning and get you test ready. Find out more about the UK's No.1 Theory Test app which is available on Android, iOS and Amazon Appstore.
If you haven't already, be sure to join Learner Hub, our community of learner drivers where you can share tips, ideas and test advice. To help you get through this period of uncertainty and worry because of COVID-19, we will be posting revision refreshers and test preparation activities on a weekly basis, to help you keep on top of your studies. Check us out today - https://www.facebook.com/groups/drivingtestsuccesslearnerhub/