Preparing for your first Driving Theory Test in 2019? Find out how much you need to score, what the current Theory Test pass mark is, and how many people pass the first time around.
What is the current Theory Test pass mark?
The Theory Test pass mark is 86%, so you'll need to answer 43 out of 50 multiple choice questions correctly to pass.
For the Hazard Perception section of the test, you need to score 44 out of 75.
You must score a pass in both sections of the Theory Test to pass the overall test.
The Driving Test Success survey
We know that 90% of learners that used our Driving Theory Test 4 in 1 App, passed their Theory Test, but how do we know this?
To obtain the 9 out of 10 learner driver pass rate, Driving Test Success conducted a survey in 2017 that revealed 90.07% of respondents passed their test using the Driving Theory Test 4-in-1 App. This was calculated from a sample of 345 learner drivers that had used the app within the last 6 months. Of those 345 learner drivers, 272 had taken their test and 245 had passed!
Get the Driving Theory Test 4 in 1 App today for just £4.99 to ensure you have the best possible chance to pass the first time.
What is the current Driving Theory Test pass rate in the UK?
The 2018/19 pass rate is 47.3%*, which means just over half of all people who sit their Theory Test fail it.
|Theory Test Pass Rate|
And, of those who passed their Theory Test, how many passed the first time?
In 2017*, 27% of all tests resulted in a first-time pass - that’s 529,013 first time passes out of 1.95 million tests sat.
That's probably much less than you thought, right?
We all know someone who claims to have passed their test the first time around, with no revision at all or very limited last-minute revision attempts. While they may have fallen lucky (or told a little white lie) we really don't recommend this approach.
The cost of a resit is £23, plus the cost of the original fail; bringing the booking fee up to £46, without taking into consideration the cost to get to the test centre, and your time wasted.
So, make sure you're completing a full range of Driving Theory Test practice sessions!
During the 2018/2019 financial year, 1,787,773 people took the Theory Test, with only 845,028 passing - resulting in the 47.3% pass rate.
That still leaves 52.7% of people who FAIL!
The latest statistics from the Department for Transport also show that females have a greater pass rate than males, with the ladies securing a 49.1% pass rate, and the lads scoring 45.6%.
FREE Driving Theory Test practice for 2019
Our addictive Highway Code quiz lets you answer 10, 20, 30, or 40 questions covering 26 categories where each category has 5 questions that vary in difficulty. Simply correctly answer as many as you can before the time runs out.
If you get a high score and are placed in the top ten, you can add your name to the leaderboard!
Our top 6 tips to pass your Driving Theory Test the first time:
- Revise as much as possible for the months and weeks leading up to your test, but don’t cram hours in at a time – instead, try to split your revision into more manageable chunks. Our Driving Theory Test 4 in 1 app contains everything you will ever need to make sure you're as prepared as possible.
- Attempt a minimum of 10 full mock Theory Test exams; which include both the multiple choice and Hazard Perception sections of the test.
- Don't book your DVSA Theory Test until you are consistently and confidently passing each full mock test with a high score. Completing one mock test isn't enough; we'd recommend you pass at least 5 mock tests consecutively with some time left over!
- Don't book your test until you have seen (and correctly answered!) 100% of the licensed DVSA Theory Test revision questions; all of which can be found in our app.
- Understand why you're sitting the test. It's not just a hurdle in the way of you booking your Practical Driving Test; it is vital information which will make you a safer, more informed driver. Everything you learn will be needed once you hit the road, so take your time and see the true value in your Theory Test revision.
- Find the right revision tool for you. Focus on content and how it will fit into your revision schedule more than simply looking for the cheapest option you can find. Look for a product with all of the latest (and licensed) DVSA 2019 Theory Test revision questions, a large amount of Hazard Perception clips (at least 80), and a progress monitor. This will help you see when you're consecutively passing and which areas need more work.
* Car theory test data by test centre DRT5201.
Get the Driving Theory Test 4 in 1 App today for just £4.99 to ensure you have the best possible chance to pass the first time!